Sunday, May 18, 2008

I'm All-American!

The other night, I had the opportunity to go to a baseball game. One of my vendors from work offered us his company's suite filled with food and beer. I must say a good time was had by all. It was just sixty degrees, the game was good, and the crowd got to witness a player from the opposing team get ejected by demonstratively arguing a call. Mind you I was far away, but could see the F-word more than any other coming from his mouth. We cheered him on and then laughed at his walk of shame to the clubhouse.

The funniest part of the evening came when the game was over. On certain evenings the team sells baseballs for $1 marked with a number. When the game is over, those who bought a baseball can stand in the front row and try to throw the ball into a large trash can placed at second base. If you get it in you split $1000 with whomever happens to make it also. All the money goes to charity. My friends and I could not pass up the opportunity.

I played softball for about 10 years. My favorite position was third base because I had an incredible knack for throwing out runners at first. I did not think I would make the trash can, but I certainly thought I would make it further than this:

Yes, the ball circled is mine. By my calculations only three other people threw worse than me (and there were an incredible number of children there for a school night). As soon as the ball left my hands I knew it was a crappy throw, so I put my head down and ran into the crowd so no one could recognize me. My friends laughed at me and then we left. It was a great night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee! Maybe you should stick to the dot races.

P.S. Can you open up comments so I don't have to log in to my stupid Blogger account that I never use? xoxo