Wednesday, June 11, 2008

DC stories

Alrighty.... As we all know, Jerome is not big on blogging. I love to read them, mind you, its just that I'm not one to babble on about the mindless happenings of my boring days (unless Ive had a few, and that doesn't count). However, I promised my beloved Jillbert I would blog now and then, since she took the effort to create this lovely site. So here goes...

Since Im in DC, I try to take advantage of the unique opportunities living in this city provides. A few months ago, I saw the Pope and the Prez. You are all blessed (your welcome). I just recently visited Gettysburg, and yesterday I decided to go to book signing at Politics and Prose (famous DC bookstore) for everyone's favorite snitch Scott McClellan. Now, keep in mind Im not a huge fan of his or anything, but I am curious to read his book so I figured why not. Unfortunately, like every book signing, there was a question and answer session before we got to meet him. Cue the crazy woman with an attitude and towel-looking thing wrapped around her head.

Said crazy woman proceeded on a long-winded, unintelligible diatribe basically describing how Bush is the devil, and how she is an expert b/c she served as a clinician (whatever the term implies) for the Army. This starts the predictable minor applause simply by its anti-Bush flavor, to which McClellan replies "Im sorry...is there a question?" Reply - "Yes...how do you feel about that?" "Im not even sure what it is that I'm supposed to respond to, so Im not going to respond." The next question, from a self-professed conspiracy theorist who looked all of 12 years old, asked McClellan if he thought the Bush administration would pull some shenanigans in the upcoming election in order to elect McCain, who would be sort of the puppet of the Bush family. "Uhhh...No. Next question." Last question was also brilliant - "Do you feel guilty for forming the policies that helped to ruin our nation?" Thus endeth the questioning.

Again, its not that I like McClellan or Bush, but this man is here to talk about his book and all people can think to do is treat him like he is still working in the administration. Further, I don't think they realize what his job was - he didn't create any policy, he was just a glorified mouthpiece. So I would like to thank the brain trust that represented the great city of DC last night for their wonderfully not-so-well-thought-out questions. I feel enlightened. Now, if you will excuse me, I need to change the bandages on my head so I can pound it against the wall some more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what it is about the format, but I have never attended a public question and answer session that didn't veer dangerously into cuckooland.