Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It's been too long

Much to the dismay of my family, I do not blog very often. I blame it on the heat in my computer room. It is so hot in here that I am using it to justify getting a laptop. I feel if I can type while sitting in relative coolness I will blog much more often. I do need to keep the three people that read my blog happy.

So here is my blog-worthy story:

A couple of weeks ago I found a red-eared turtle in my driveway. We live next to a creek and he had apparently gotten lost. I don't know, maybe his parents made him mad so he ran away from home. I took a minute and said "hello" and went on my merry way. Later that day I told Jeremy about my encounter and he made me feel like by not putting him back in the creek, I was sending him to his impending fate--death by car. I thought if I had the chance to do it again I would surely save the rare turtle.

Lo and behold, the next day there he was in my driveway again! I knew my fate was to save him and the only thing standing in my way was my fear of picking him up. I decided to grow a pair and just do it. I crouched down and moved my hand to pick him up but he sensed me and started running...pretty fast for a turtle. I guess he felt playful because we played a game of cat and mouse (or rather chicken and turtle) for a good five minutes. Every time I had my hand in place to pick him up, he would run away. It was all amusing until he turned the tables and started chasing me. It was at that point I decided I am a city girl and have no business around wild organisms. If this turtle didn't want my help, I didn't want to ruin my manicure to try. If this story seems pathetic to you, it will seem so much more when you see the turtle I was against:

It's true that he was no bigger than a half dollar in diameter. I am a wimp!

No comments: