Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Why I hate to grocery shop

I have lived in the same place for about 5 years, and as a result, I know the aisles of all three grocery stores in my neighborhood by heart. I have the proven ability to zip in and out of these stores with no problems. I even use the three stores for different things-- the Randall's by my house is for quick stops, the HEB on my side of the highway is for big trips and the other HEB is for more refined meals as they have a larger variety.

Last week I had to work a considerable heavier schedule than normal. My brain was scrambled and my body was tired. All that was standing between my 12 hour shift and home was a bag of cat food. So I stopped at the Randall's, proceeded immediately to aisle 6 aka "Pet Place", walked the requisite 12 paces to get to Luckberts brand of food, and found evaporated milk. Huh?

It turns out that Randall's is doing a drastic remodel. Aisle 6 is still named "Pet Place" but not for long. This was too much for me to handle. I was too tired to figure it out--I actually stood in the middle of the grocery store for a good five minutes trying to figure out where I was going. I felt very stupid and disoriented, but it felt good to laugh at myself.

Today I needed just a few things for dinner and to do some light shopping, so I chose to drive the extra mile to grocery store #2, located smack-dab in the middle of a very established neighborhood. I can only imagine its patrons have shopped there for as long as it has been open, which I think is around 20 years. It was the rush hour for grocery stores (around 6pm) and there were more people than usual for this time of day. Everything seemed normal until I realized every other aisle was empty. Surely the recession hasn't gotten this bad, right? No, it is another remodel. This time I had much less patience for it because no one knew where to find anything. Everyone was pushing his cart in circles it seems. I couldn't even locate the bread aisle, lost my patience, so I got the heck out of there!

1 comment:

Grocerysmart said...

LOL! I had the same experience just this week at my local Vons. Everything has been in the same place forever and now they have simply reset the entire store with no remodel. Sheesh!

Who would think to look for the toilet paper on the other side of the aisle from the soda? What marketing giant thought that the junk food should't still be next to the soda aisle? Like after the last 25 years suddenly TP and Kleenex are going to sell more there than potato chips and popcorn?

I feel for you. I stopped in after a long work day too and thought I was seeing things!