Saturday, September 20, 2008

ACHOO!

The one downside of living in Austin is allergies. From about this time to mid-May there is much complaining of achy heads, clogged ears and runny noses. For the longest time, I was immune. The past year or so I have joined the masses in the perpetual nose run. This season started on Wednesday (can I blame the butterflies)?

It would only make sense to stay indoors where you are less susceptible to the allergens, but with the gorgeous weather and my commitment to run, I have found that near impossible. But I must admit that I feel horrible. Damn ragweed!

I have heard a tip that if you eat a tablespoon of local honey* a day, your allergies will be severely reduced. Apparently, since bees are pollinators, your body ingests the allergens therefore making you immune to them in the air. It seems far fetched, but if honey didn't make me want to wretch, I would totally try it.

*I heard a funny story about local honey: There is a co-op grocery store near the UT campus. One day sorority girls started shopping there for honey of all things--they are not the usual demographic for this store and the employees were curious as to why the sudden surge of bowheads. Once asked, one girl answered, "I heard this was the place to get lo-cal honey. I didn't realize it was so fattening." I guess they couldn't figure out why their local grocery store didn't sell the less fat option. Ha!

No comments: