Monday, September 15, 2008

I got Iked

Okay. So it seems the only thing people are able to talk about lataely is Hurricane Ike. Granted, it was quite a storm, but the ability of people to overreact never ceases to amaze me. By Thursday most weather models had the track of Ike steering away from Austin, and by Friday morning, it became clear that we would not even see a drop of rain. Not even a drop! In fact, as far as Austin goes, it was named Hurricane Psych.

That didn't stop people around here from buying generators, stocking up on food, canceling work, and closing up shop all around town. I happen to work in a restaurant. The only time we shut down due to weather is when ice fell on the city, rendering it too slippery to drive. Many of my sister stores still opened their doors, but my particular shop resides at the corner where most ice-related incidents happen so no one in the neighborhood was out that day. It was not cost effective to open our doors.

Long story short, we were going to open regardless of Ike. I can't even begin to describe to you what thousands of electricity-less people visiting friends and family in the city does to business (my area didn't see as many buses of evacuees but people who wanted to get the heck out of dodge). We were ridiculously crazy and saw record sales all weekend. So, we got Iked!

I should say that my thoughts go out to all those affected by this monster storm. I know it is a little selfish to speak of my gain through million's hard times. Best to you and yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was right!