Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Don't swim in the kiddie pool

This morning I got up at the hour of 5:30 to go to a marathon train. It was a cool, breezy morning and I watched the sun rise while getting good exercise. I am up early drinking good coffee and I thought, what better time to blog?

I have decided that I really dislike the culture of children. Don't get me wrong, I love children but I abhor words like "sippie cup" and "ouchless." I equally dislike the idea that just because a person has decided to procreate, she (and sometimes even he) gets special treatment in the world. Take this story for instance:

Jeremy and I were at the airport, about to depart for San Francisco. We usually walk with purpose and try hard to not get in any one's way, but for some reason, we paused at the entrance to security (keep in mind that the Austin airport is seldom busy and has never taken more than 20 minutes to get through to the gate). There was a family with 2 small children right behind us and here was our exchange:

Father: BEEP BEEP! (in Jill's ear)
Jill: Say huh?
Father: Uh, we are trying to catch a flight and we are in a hurry.
(Jill gives an ugly look)
Jeremy (not hearing the beep beep part): Sure, man, go ahead. We actually planned our trip to get us to the airport a little early like responsible adults.
Father: Well, it's just that we have CHILDREN.

Jeremy is such a nicer person than I. Because I think if you have children, you should let people ahead of you. Seriously, we have IDs and 2 carry on bags. You have 2 strollers, breast milk that needs testing, etc. In Jeremy's defense, he did not hear the grown man beep in my ear but had he, he surely would have told the man where to shove his stroller. He was appalled once he found out what really had happened.

The zinger was that we were sitting at our gate before those people were even cleared for security. At least airports have multiple lines.

It makes me nervous that if I ever do have children, my peers will behave in such a manner and my vocabulary will no longer be adult, but suited for someone who can't even form sentences.

More about the San Fran trip later(and hopefully pictures, too!)

No comments: