Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bert's Half Marathon...The Sequel

As you probably know, I ran the Austin 1/2 marathon on Sunday, my second this year. The difference between the two is night and day. During #1 (Phoenix), I thought I was going to die and therefore not cross the finish line. #2 was true to the dying part but I always knew I would and could do it. #1 was completely flat and #2 never had a flat moment. The list of differences goes on and on. I choose to not bore you with it.

I will tell you the main difference between Phoenix and Austin: the crowd. When I ran in Phoenix, there was rarely ever a time some spectator was not yelling at you to "Go! You can do it!" Sometimes even in different languages. I had my name on my shirt and people would call me out individually. It was amusing to see those people and it really helped the time pass faster. I kept thinking that if a perfect stranger says I can do it, then I might be able to. In Austin, however, it was so quiet along the race course, I could hear the sole of my shoe squeak. Except for the finish line (which was way better in Austin), there was rarely a time that strangers were yelling at you. At the start line, the runners were actually having to ask the crowd to yell for them. At times, I took matters into my own hands. "Let's hear it for mile 7," I would say. My friends would respond, "Woo Hoo. Arriba!" The other runners would respond with a glare. If they were meaner people, they probably would have told me to shut the F*%# up. Oh well.

The aftermath of #2 is way worse. I am sore from head to toe. Literally, my temples hurt. Walking down stairs is laborious and bending down not yet an option. But it was fun and worth it. I will put the Austin marathon in my heart along with all my other treasured memories. Who is up for a half marathon in April?

No comments: