Saturday, February 28, 2009

Word-n't you like to be in the dictionary?

I am very word sensitive. There are certain made-up words that said properly, send me into a white-hot rage. Let's explore:

Sippie cup and ouchless are timeless as I have not enjoyed these words for years now. A sippie cup is the transition from a bottle to a normal cup. It's a wonderful invention from what those with children have told me, but made totally worthless by its name. Ouchless? Really? This term usually refers to hair ties and band-aids. Are people so afraid of the pain these products cause that they wouldn't consider buying them with out the ouch-free promise? UGH!

Taco Bell has coined one of my newest word-nemeses..."melty", as in a delicious, melty taco. You may have noticed that this word is spreading like wildfire. Most fast food commercials now use it to describe their menu items as well. To me, it makes the food sound gross. Kind of like they are using government cheese to produce such melt. I guess we can be thankful that gooey is off the table.

I also have a budding hatred of the term "lol". Although not used as a word per say, it is rampant and in my opinion, often unused. How often does one really crack a joke while texting? And if said person does crack a joke, does he/she lack so much comedic confidence that it is necessary to say "lol"?

I always thought that I stood alone in the word hatred category. I have a friend who hates the word "moist" so much that she refuses to say it. We once went to eat BBQ and she made me order her extra-moist brisket for her. LOL!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Word nemeses? I am not so fond of moist either.

My most feared phrase nemesis is when a writer describes enjoying some meal "washed down" with something. Gross. Would it not have made it down without some torrent of beer or random beverage cleansing it off the lining of your esophagus?